- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 whole green bell pepper chopped
- 1-2 jalapenos chopped (depending on how spicy you like)
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 can cream style corn
- 1 small jar pimentos
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups Martha White buttermilk cornmeal mix
- 2-3 tablespoons of Old Bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lbs crawfish tails (mine were left over from crawfish boil & were seasoned nicely)
Saute onions and peppers in 1 tablespoon of margarine or olive oil for about 5 min on medium heat. Mix milk, oil, & egg together in large bowl. Add cornmeal mix, peppers/onions, and crawfish and stir. Pour all ingredients in 9x13 pan and bake at 400 for about 45 min or until golden on top.
I have also used frozen non-seasoned crawfish tails that I placed in a ziploc bag with seasoned water. I seasoned the water with Zatarain's crawfish/crab boil dry seasoning, cayenne pepper, hot sauce, and Tony's Chachere's. I let them soak for 6 hours in seasoned water in the fridge.
Origin: My dad shared this recipe with me from a person who gave it to him.